Friday, April 25, 2008

New Gear - what fun!

Who hates getting new (secondhand) gear? Own up now!

Unfortunately for me, my wallet and wife, I cannot include myself in that group.

I, as I am sure many others, search around on all those forums FM, PassionForPixels, etc. looking at, drooling at and thinking about what peice of new gear to get.
I apologise as this certainly conflicts with an earlier blog I made about getting the newest and latest but I make my excuse as I search hard and long to get the bargins.

"OK, what brought this on" you say?
Below is my latest application for a purchase.
I remember it clearly, like it was yesterday, but it was actually earlier today :)
I have hunted down a nice copy of a Canon 135 f2L. Sweet L lens! Here is an image below (courtesy of the old owner, photoguy).



And before I knew it, I had also bought his 580EX and stofen diffuser. Oops. First thing I thought I should do is warn the other half - very important! Fortunately she had just recently received one of her all-consuming scrapbooking kits so was mild in her response (few, that was close!).

Now for the wait. I am hoping that these new toys, more than anything, will challenge me to try new things. Having two flashes will help me work towards becoming a more versatile strobist and that 135 will allow me to get beautiful bucket boqet nice back lighting stuff

The other thing that brought this about was thinking about optimising my gear, or rather rationalising the gear I have. While searching for anybodies ideas on photography with a 1D mark IIn, I came across this website. It is something that I will be looking into more and I can suggest all photographers do this. Like a spring clean, hopefully I can do it regularly (maybe delay it for the moment :)

Before I go, can I suggest you check out CanonBlogger. He has just added a cool test (found here). Find out how much of a photographer geek you are and check it out (I got 18 out of 20 after two goes - did I write that out loud?).

Anyway, I look forward to getting my parcel in the post and getting down to that rationalisation idea - at least the better half will like having more room for scrapbooking.

Cheers until next time!

1 comment:

neverhappen.com said...

They are a great couple of sites...that I have never heard of before. Infact I have just stumbled here from p4p (looking at your 24-104mm).